Sunday, May 10, 2009

Three days, three images, 0 views



It's been three days since I did the happy dance of my first photo acceptance at fotolia. Ever since, I've kept one eye on my portfiolio there, watching the views/sales figures. As far as I can tell, the only person to view my images so far was the wonderful inspector who gave them their initial approval.

So, I guess it goes like this:

  • First, you hope to get something accepted.
  • Then, while you try to get more images accepted, you also hope for views.
  • When you do start seeing views, you can start hoping for a few sales.
  • Once you see some sales, you can hope for more sales.
Fits in with basic human nature I guess, never happy and always wanting more...

But it helps to have a plan. Here's mine:

  1. Build my portfolio on fotolia, but once I have 10 accepted there, I'm going to have a shot at shutterstock. There, they have an "audition" process, where you must submit 10 images. If 7/10 are accepted, you are approved to submit more images. If not, you can try again in 30 days.
  2. Once I am approved at shutterstock, I'll try istockphoto again. Their approval provess is that you submit 3 images. If they approve them, you can then submit images for sale. If not, you get put in "time out". Your time out doubles with every rejection, and my next one will be 30 days. So when I do submit my next set, I want it to be good.
  3. Once I'm accepted at iStockphoto, I'll coutinue to submit to all three. If I eventually see sales, I'll watch what sells where, and possibly consider exclusivity somewhere.
  4. Anything more would be thinking too far ahead, but someday, I'd like to make this a part time job and earn part-time income. We'll see if I can make it to that level. Clearly I have a long road ahead, but as long as I enjoy the trip, I'm in!

No comments:

Post a Comment